Monday, April 18, 2011

Reflections On The Quake

It's been quite a while since I've written here. Return to normality, a bit of complacency, comfort, apathy, whatever we call it, when things are going ok, it's hard to focus on matters beyond 'what am I having for dinner'. But I've been thinking a lot recently given all that's happened in Japan. Having lived through the quake on 3/11 and not having left Tokyo for other than a long weekend in Seoul, I've had a lot to think about. I find that through this experience, God has placed in my heart three things. 1. Humility: No other way to put it than I am creature and God is creator. Sitting under my desk with a helmet on as the building sways a good 10 feet side to side, my greatest realization was that there is nothing I can do to stop this from happening. As I watched all the skyscrapers around my office sway like saplings in a stiff breeze, you realize that the finger of God is awesome in power and not a single thing man does can stop that finger. 2. Community: I received many emails and calls from friends and family to leave Tokyo. Many well-intentioned people implored me to leave, that life is more important than a job. That family should always come before financial consideration. In most things, I would have agreed. But I didn't leave, I stayed. In doing so, God opened my eyes to another insight. I had a larger family in Tokyo that I had responsibility for, my brothers and sisters in Christ in my small group. By staying in Tokyo, I realized that I was able to give encouragement in a way that would have been impossible had I left Japan. How could I possibly cite Bible verses to encourage and tell people I was praying for them sitting on a sofa 500 miles away? This was the first time my concept of family truly extended beyond blood. 3. Daily bread: We say these words every time that we say the Lord's prayer. We ask for each day's bread, each day's sustenance. But how many of us have really prayed this way and felt this way? The Bible tells us not to worry about tomorrow for tomorrow has enough worries. Rather we should focus on living this day for God's glory. I have a better glimpse into what it means for us to live for this day and only this day. Not to be overly melodramatic, but living each day with sizeable aftershocks highlights for many of us in Tokyo that we have just this day to take care of and leave God to take care of tomorrow.

No comments: